front banner


The London Journal
(May 21, 1720 - Dec 28, 1734; Jul 30, 1768 - Dec 31, 1768
Saturday, May 22, 1725
On Saturday last the Sessions ended at the Old-Bailey, when the Five following Criminals received Sentence of Death, viz. John Plant, William Sterry, and Robert Samford for Highway and Street Robberies ... On Monday next the Four following Criminals are to be executed at Tyburn, viz. Jonathan Wild, Robert Marpam, William Sterry and Robert Samford.

Gentleman's Magazine 1731-1868
Published monthly from 1731 to 1868 contains notices of births, marriages and deaths, and announcements of bankrupts and military and clerical appointments. Entires refer to the upper class but also to middle class families or other persons of note. Sterry entries from Gentleman's Magazine have been extracted.

Stamford Mercury, Lincolnshire
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
Thu 13 Sep 1733
Lost on Thursday the 6th of this instant September, between Stamford and Petersborough, a small green pocket book and in it several orders for flower of mustard seed, garden seeds, &c. which are of no use but to the owner. Whoever brings the said pocket book to Mr. Francis Sharpe Grocer in Stamford, or Mr. Benjamin Sterry Seedman in the Borough of Southwark, London, shall have five shillings reward and reasonable charges.

St. James's Chronicle or the British Evening Post (London)
Saturday, January 30, 1768
'This Morning about Two o'Clock, a Fire broke out at the House of Mr. Butler, Leathercutter, on Snow-Hill, which entirely consumed the same, together with the House of Mr. Cooper, a Hatter, adjoining, and likewise that of Messrs. Jarvis, Sterry and Newman, Leather-Cutters and Curriers; the Flames raged for a great while with incredible Fury, and destroyed several Workshops and Outhouses backwards, and had spread to a Timber-Yard adjoining before they could be extinguished, which was in a great Measure accomplished by the Activity of the Paviours of the New River Company, who by digging up the Ground, and boring Holes through the Pipes, supplyed Engines with Water, which before could not be procured. Happily no lives were lost.'

The Public Advertiser (London, England), Wednesday, February 3, 1768 also reported on the incident and added:
'.. the flames extended to Catherine-wheel-court, behind, where the poor Inhabitants had scarce Time to save their Children; but happily about Seven o'Clock the Fire was extinguished by the Industry of the Firemen belonging to the different Offices who had collected twelve engines. It is supposed some Lives are lost; and one of the Firemen by a Fall from the Rook of a House was so terribly bruised, that his Life is despaired of.'

Public Advertiser (London)
Tuesday, May 25, 1773
'Saturday, the Servant of Mr. Sterry, of Snow hill, hanged herself. She was one of the People called Quakers.'

London Packet or New Lloyd's Evening Post
( Source:
Friday, July 12, 1793
At the late Assizes at Chelmsford, John Sterry, turned of 60, and who has seven children, indicted Sarah Lloyd, aged 24, for entering his dwelling-house, and stealing some bread and cheese, and wearing apparel. - After the examination of Sterry, which afforded much mirth, the wearing apparel was produced, which consisted of a pair of ragged breeches, a pocket handkerchief, full of holes, and a little girl's shift. Judge Gould expressed his disapprobration of such an indictment; and requested his Marshall to ask the prisoner what she had to say in her defence, who returned, evidently much confused, "My Lord, the Prisoner says, that John Sterry had her goods for his."

The Court was in a roar of laughter for some time. The Jury, with his Lordship's concurrence, acquitted the prisoner, and the Judge severely reprobated the conduct of the prosecutor.

The Times 1795-1976
The Times was first published in 1785 although it was named The Daily Universal Register until 1788. Sterry entries from the Times have been extracted.

Staffordshire Advertiser (London report)
Saturday, 19 Sept 1807
Lately at Guildhall, five boys and three girls have been charged with being part of a numerous gang of pick-pockets .. Edward Sterry aged 14 was their Captain .. read more

Norfolk Chronicle
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
Sat 9 Apr 1796
At the general quarter sessions of the peace for this county, which ended on Thursday last ... John Driver, William Sterry, and Thomas Notley, severally convicted of a riot at the same time and place, were ordered to be imprisoned in the Castle 14 days and to pay a fine of 1s. each [a riot at Blo Norton thereby preventing a public notice respecting an enclosure bill being put up]

Gloucester Journal, Gloucestershire
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)  
Monday 18 April 1796
To be sold by auction by Mr Read on Wednesday the 20th of April instant, between the hours of two and three in the afternoon, at the house of Mr Drinkwater at Huntley, known by the sign of the Red Lion, the following estates, situate in the parish of Long-Hope, and near the turnpike road leading from Glocester to Mitcheldean, in the several occupations of William Sterry, William Sinderby and John Watkins, all tenants at will.
Lots I - A dwelling house, garden and orchard, in the occupation of Abraham Sterry ...

Gloucester Journal, Gloucestershire
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)  
Monday 10 October 1796
At the Quarter Sessions held last week for this county, Thomas Sterry, for robbing his lodgings, was sentenced to be transported, having been an old offender.

Norfolk Chronicle
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
Sat 23 Jul 1808
To be Sold by Auction, (Under a Deed Assignment for the benefit of Creditors), By Thomas Calver, On the premises of John Sterry, of Bridgham, in Norfolk, carpenter and shopkeeper .. read more

Norfolk Chronicle
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
Sat 29 Dec 1810
Tuesday last, at the Cathedral, Mr. Robert Bullard, of this city, to Miss Elizabeth Sterry, Yarmouth

Ipswich Journal, Suffolk
6th June 1807
A most melancholy and distressing circumstance occurred on Friday, May 29, off this coast: A fishing vessel, the property of Mess. Freemen and Sterry, of Lowestoft, (the latter being then master), was unfortunately ran down by a ship in a gale of wind; shocking to relate, Mr. Sterry, with 7 men and a boy, have not been since heard of; the boat, with its nets and materials, quite new, were all lost. Mr. Sterry has left a wife with 6 children to bewail his loss; he was a young man universally respected by all who knew him, for his exemplary conduct and honest dealings. The other fishermen have all left wives, with large families in the greatest distress. About the same period last year, Mr. Sterry's fishing boat being under sail, was taken by a violent gust of wind, and upset; fortunately Mr. Sterry and his boat's company were rescued from a watery grave by a boat being in sight and coming to their assistance. His son, a lad ten years old, being asleep in the cabin, was drowned, and the boat and all the materials were lost

To the Humane and Benevolent
The distressing circumstances of the loss of Mr Sterry, seven men and a boy, off Lowestoft, on the 29th inst. is humbly represented to the feelings of the charitable. Mr S. and the 7 men have all left large families in the greatest distress; and the smallest donations towards the support of the widows and orphans of the unhappy sufferers, will be thankfully received at the houses of Mr John Chasten, Mr William Aldred, and Mr Robt. Allen, of Lowestoft

[Mr. Robert Sterry was a fish merchant. Robert was drowned with all his crew on 29 May 1807 his age being 40 years. He lost a son Robert by drowning a year before.]

Morning Chronicle [London]
Thursday 16 January 1817
A wedding, was brought about by circumstances of a novel nature, took place within these few days, at St. Andrew's Church, Holborn. A young woman, named Mary Sterry, was tried, on a very recent occasion, at the Old 'Bailey Sessions, with her mother; the former, for robbing her .master, a tradesman, in Cornhill ; and the latter, for .receiving the goods stolen, During the trial, a young man, of the name of Mills, who had casually got into the gallery of the Court, suddenly became enamoured of the fair young prisoner, and, -after her conviction, he made interest to get to see her on her being taken out of Court; he then expressed his sincere attachment towards her, and proffered every assistance in his power to sooth the cares of her confinement. He visited her daily, and found her necessaries of every kind in abundance. He employed great exertions in getting it represented that she had become a convert, and was truly penitent, not only to the Recorder and the City Authorities, but also petitioned the Secretary of State, and the young man promised to marry her should the royal l sp clemency be extended towards her. The behaviour of the prisoner was testified to be good; and last week she received, a pardon, on condition that Mills married her immediately. The next morning the happy pair accompanied Mr. Crosby, Chaplain to the Refuge for the Destitute, to St. Andrew's Church, Holborn, wherein they were married, and Mr. C. paid all expenses. The bride and- bridegroom retired to the residence of the latter, in Whitecross-street, to a good dinner.

The Ipswich Journal [Suffolk]
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
Saturday 14 November 1818
Wednesday last, Charles Rayner and John Sterry Baker were committed to the County Gaol, in this town, by Thomas J. Woodward, Esq. for having stolen a grey mare pony, the property of Samuel Satter, of Wortham. [See full story of John Sterry Baker]

Bury & Norwich Post
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
14 Dec 1825
At Yarmouth:
Mrs Sterry, wife of Capt. Sterry, aged 32.

The Ipswich Journal [Suffolk]
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
Saturday 15 July 1826
Yarnouth July 14
An inquest was held on Tuesday evening, at the Earl St. Vincent public-house, in Chapel-street, on view of the body of George Sterry, about 7 years of age, whose father is a shipwright in this town. It appeared, that the boy was last seen on Saturday morning; he was then playing on board a fishing yawl by himself, near the Oil Houses, and it is conjectured he accidentally fell overboard & was drowned. The body was not found until Tuesday morning, about 6 o'clock, when it was picked up hy Sam. Reader, nearly opposite Fisher's Quay. Verdict 'Accidental Death' [This is George William Sterry 1819-1826 on Lowestoft Sterry line]

Ipswich Journal [Suffolk]
18th August 1832 [Page 3 column 1]
Report of Melancholy Accident to Lieutenant Watling
A melancholy accident occurred on Wednesday morning about 10 o,clock, on the road leading from Lowestoft to Yarmouth, and nearly opposite the residence of Thos. Glasspoole Esq of Blundeston. As Mr Sterry, fish merchant, of Lowestoft, was driving his friend Lieut. Watling, of the same place, in a gig, the reins by some means got under the mare he was driving, which caused her to run away. Lieut. Watling, seeing the danger he was exposed to, imprudently jumped out of the gig and being a very heavy man, he pitched upon his head, and was killed on the spot. The mare continued her course until she reached the Tollgate, where she was stopped and Mr Sterry escaped unhurt. The deceased was a truly worthy character, and was highly esteemed by all who had the pleasure of his acquaintance. A Coroner's Inquest was held on Thursday, before E Sparrower, Gent. Verdict - Accidental Death. [Henry Whatling was the husband of the sister of the wife of John Sterry [1771-1836] on Lowestoft, Sterry line]

Lowestoft Journal [Suffolk]
1 May 1837
Retirement of Fred Sterry (1883-1948 - Southwold line) after 35 years as a volunteer in the Suffolk and Norfolk Yeomanry.

The Ipswich Journal [Suffolk]
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
Saturday, January 13, 1838
FIFTEEN LIVES LOST! - A melancholy circumstance occurred at Lowestoft on Monday night, by which fifteen individuals have met a watery grave! It appears that a vessel was seen off Corton on Monday afternoon, having a signal for a pilot; and that two yawls launched from Lowestoft beach for the purpose of supplying her, and that one of them, observing a Yarmouth boat to board her, returned; but the other (the "Peace") determining to speak the vessel, stood on; soon after which it came on to blow excessively hard in squalls with snow; and the night closing in, it is conjectured that in returning she must have been lost in the broken water on the Newcombe Sand, for part of the boat & materials, together with several hats, were picked up on Tuesday morning, on Pakefield beach. The names of the poor fellows who have thus met their death, are as follows:- James Cullingham, James Smith, (North sea pilots); John Rose, James Cook, James Bobbitt, William Capps, Robert Capps, Samuel Gilby, Joseph Saunders, jun., William Saunders, John Sterry, Thomas Cooper, John Liffen,__ Cushen.

The Ipswich Journal [Suffolk]
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
Saturday 09 February 1839
Elizabeth Aldred, 22, convicted of having stolen from the dwelling-house of Mr. Walter Sterry, of the Theatre Tavern, a pair of cotton drawers and sundry other articles, was sentenced to three month's imprisonment. [Note. This is an error. The Sterry concerned was Nathaniel Sterry 1795-1869 on Lowestoft Sterry line.]

The Champion [London]
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
Sunday 08 September 1839
Love and Distressing Suicide.-On Friday night. a young gentleman, named William Henry Legge, about 20 years of age, residing about five miles from this city, and son of the late General Legge, committed suicide. The deceased had formed an attachment for a young woman, Miss Eliza Sterry, which, it is said, did not meet the approbation of his mother. On Friday night he came home, in company with the young woman. Having left her outside the house, he went into the parlour to his mother, and after a mninute's conversation with her, he ran up stairs, seized a pistol, and rushed out of the house towards the young woman. He then knelt down, put the pistol to his mouth, discharged it, and fell a corpse at her feet. The jury returned a verdict of "Temporary derangement." -- Gloucester Journal. [Eliza Sterry is probably Eliza born 26 Jun 1809 at St Nicholas, Gloucester, the daughter of Walter Sterry, Carpenter on Longhope Sterry line. Eliza never married.]

Ipswich Journal [Suffolk]
11 Jan 1840
Sale of property in Beccles once occupied by James Sterry (1803-1885, Southwold line)

Monmouthshire Merlin
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
Saturday 15 July 1843
Insolvent Debtor to be heard at Gloucester, on the 4th day of November, 1843, at the hour of Ten in the Forenoon precisely.
WINTOUR HARRIS STERRY, formerly of King- street, then of Gloucester-street. Stroud, Gloucestershire, Fishmonger and Poulterer; then of Church-street Monmouth, Fishmonger and Poulterer; then of Bishops Stortford, Herefordshire, Labourer and late of Westbury, Gloucestershire, out of business; his wife during all the three last described residences carrying on the trade of Fishmonger and Poulterer, at King-streef, Stroud, aforesaid. NlCHOLLS and DOYLE, No. 8, Cook's Court, Lincolns Inn, London, For J. HULLS, Gloucester.

Lynn Advertiser 1848-1900
Sterry entries from the Lynn Advertiser, the local newspaper for King's Lynn, Norfolk are included here.

The Ipswich Journal
(Source: The British Newspaper Archive)
Saturday 15 January 1859
LOWESTOFT POLICE. Wednesday, Jan. 12.- Before Charles Steward, Esq., H. M. Leathes, Esq., and the Rev. F. W. Cubitt. Gambling.-James Emms, Charles Beamish, and Jos. Scarlett
Assault.- James Emms was then charged with assaulting, on the above night, Ann, the wife of Timothy Sterry, a twine splnner. Complainant stated that she went to defendant's beer-house, on the night in question, after her husband, who said he was not going home; upon which she said the should stop till he did go. Emma then went to her and said "Out with you, out with you," and pushed her so that she fell into the street. Defendant stated she was in the passage where she had no right to be. The Chairman said It was a clear case of assault (Emms: What am I to do when people come in and believe disorderly?) and had arisen from card playing. There is a man playing cards in defendant's beer-house; the wife comes, and instead of allowing a communication between tho wife and husband defendant pushes her Into the street. Defendant would have to pay 15s. including costs, or in default 3 weeks' imprisonment in Beccles gaol.

Reynolds's Newspaper [London]
Sunday 19 April 1863
Yesterday morning a fine boy, seven years of age, son of Mr. A. Sterry, of Manor-road, Kennington, went out to amuse himself with a swing in the garden. By some inexplicable means the child got the rope entangled round his neck, and his feet not touching the ground, and no one being near to assist him, he was strangled, and when discovered he was quite dead.

Ipswich Journal [Suffolk]
12 Nov 1864
Reports the tragic death of Frederick William Sterry (1835-1864; Southwold line) who was drowned off Pakefield on the drifter "William Clifford". The master, William Turrell, who was Frederick William Sterry's father in law, also perished.

Birmingham Daily Post
Friday 15 December 1865
"The Devil that Did It"
Joseph Sterry (25) and Frederick Stringer (37) were indicted for maliciously setting fire to two stacks of barley and wagon, the property of John Boulton, at Shiffnal. Mr. Loxdale Warren appeared for the prosecution; prisoners were undefended. It appeared from the evidence that a man named Thomas Earp riding by the stacks in question, about six o'clock in the evening of September 8, saw them on fire, and the prisoners close at hand. Sterry then laid hold of Stringer and said, "This is the devil that did it." A policeman named Lloyd gave confirmatory evidence as regarded the fact of Sterry's laying the blame on Stringer. Stringer had also, according to the evidence of this witness, made statement, amounting in some degree to a confession, and exhibiting recklessness of what might happen to him, owing, as he said, to want. Other witnesses gave similar evidence of statements made by Stringer, who defended himself in a wild and incoherent manner, and like a man rather deficient in intellect. The property consumed was of the value about £100. After some deliberation, the Jury returned a verdict of guilty against both prisoners, and they were placed at the bar, together with the others who had been convicted on their own confession. His Lordship, after an impressive address, sentenced them to five years penal servitude.

The Ipswich Journal
Saturday 4 August 1866
Petty Sessions, Eye, Tuesday, July 31
Before time Revds. G. W. Kershaw (chairman), and J. F. Reeve
Brutal Assault
Walter Sterry and Martin Sterry, Rickinghall, labourers, were charged with assaulting Mary Ann Arnold at Rickinghall, on Saturday, July 21st. Defendants were further charged with assaulting Henry Arnold at the same time and place. Mary Ann Arnold saId: about 12 o'clock on the night of the 21st of July, I was going home from my father's in company with my husband, and when in Garden House Lane, we met with the defendants. We bade them "good night," whereupon Walter Sterry struck me with a stick, and Martin Sterry knocked my husband down. I sat on him in order to keep off the kicks, and whilst so doing I was kicked on the side, and my head cut open with the stick. (Complainant here exhibited an ugly gash on her head). Policeman Cook came up soon afterwards, and struck a light and found I was covered with blood. Policeman Jas. Cook: About eleven o'clock on the night in question, I met the two complainants going up the hill at Rickinghall, and about 12 o'clock I heard a very loud scream. On going to place, Mrs. Arnold showed me a cut on her head, and the blood was running down her neck. She told me that Walter Sterry had struck her with a stick. I have no doubt that both the complainants were quite sober. I heard no noise except the screaming of Mrs. Arnold. Henry Arnold deposed: I and my wife met the two defendants in Garden House Lane, a little before twelve o'clock on the night of Saturday, the 21st of July. MartIn Sterry "punched" me in the ribs with a stick. Not a word passed between us before that. Walter Sterry struck at me with a stick, and hit my wife on the head. Defendants were in company of others, and had come from the "Garden House" public house. By Walter Sterry: I did not strike Mrs. Bond before you struck me. I did not strike you first. By Martin Sterry: You did not take me off your brother. Mary Ann Bond, (for defendants): Arnold struck me first, and then struck young Gooderham. Walter Sterry said "good-nIght" to Arnold, who struck him In return. The defendants and others were coming from the Garden Home public-house. I had been there with my husband. Arnold struck me on the head, and no words took place previously. I never saw Arnold nor his wife struck at all. If there was any blow Arnold struck his wife hImself. Defendants were fined £1 and 16. 6d. costs each; or a month's hard labour in default. Both were locked up, but umtimately Walter Sterry's mother applied for time for payment for him, and the Magistrates allowed him a fortnight.

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper [London]
Sunday 30 September 1866
On Friday evening an inquest was held at Bromley on the body of Matilda Sterry, an infant, whose death was occasioned by an infuriated cow seizing the child with its mouth from the arms of its nurse. It appeared that a woman, hearing the screams of the child, rushed upon the animal and rescued the poor little sufferer, who had, however, received unfortunately, too severe an injury to be recovered. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the evidence; and the woman who thus heroically ventured her life, at the recommendation of the coroner received a pecuniary recompense for her praiseworthy conduct.

Usk Observer, Raglan Herald, and Monmouthshire Central Advertiser
Saturday 24 November 1866
The Government emigrant-ship Ernestine, 1,048 tons, belonging to Messrs. Houlder Brothers, London, Mr. Robert B. Sterry, master, which sailed from Plymouth on the 8th of May, arrived at Adelaide, South Australia, on the 4th of September last, with 369 Government emigrants, comprising 95 married people, 145 single men, 70 single women, 28 boys, 18 girls, and 13 infants,under the care of Mr. Ambrose Newbold, M.D., surgeon superintendent, assisted by Miss Selina Walford, matron, and Mr. James C. Truscott, schoolmaster.

Kentish Chronicle
10 Aug 1867
Messrs. Lamb and Sterry's Paraffin Wax Refinery Works at Rotherhithe have been burnt down, the fire having raged from Friday night up to Saturday morning. The premises, which had recently been erected at great cost, covered nearly half an acre of land. The various floors were fitted up with powerful machinery, and the stores contained several hundred barrels of paraffin, whilst the warehouses were filled with the refined wax. About half-past ten o'clock on Friday night some persons rushed into the Old Jolly Wall and cried out, "The works are on fire." A sudden panic seemed to seize every one present, it being well-known that the contents of the premises, besides being of such an easily ignitable character, would, if confined, explore with fearful violence, and such unfortunately was the case during the progress of the conflagration. The firemen of the Metropolitan Brigade were telegraphed to attend withy their engines from nearly every station in London, but before they could arrive the fire had made great progress. Huge bodies of flame shot up at least 50 feet in the air. In less than 20 minutes there were upwards of a dozen engines at the scene, including several powerful prize land steamers by Shand, Mason, and Co. The firemen did their best to prevent the fire from reaching a row of newly-built houses, called Alexander-cottages. Unfortunately, they were unable to accomplish this, and the flames rushed into three of the houses, and in the course of a few minutes they were destroyed. The large skin factory belonging to Mr. Moore, situate behind his dwelling, was next attacked, and the upper portion was quickly in a general blaze. It should be stated that in the centre of the front houses were a pair of gates leading to the refinery, and the firemen, in their anxiety to reach the main body of flames, proceeded down this gateway, with the branches from three engines in hand, and whilst directing the water into the press room one of the vats exploded, making a fearful noise, and before the firemen could get away three of them, named Rogers, Grimshaw. and Palmer, became surrounded with flame, and were so seriously injured that they had to be taken to the hospital. This explosion had barely subsided when another still louder took place, and blew down some of the substantial walls, to the danger of killing the firemen. By ten o'clock on Saturday mornng all danger of any extension of mischief was over. The loss of property occasioned by the fire is enormous, and it is said that it will reach 100,000 pounds. Men were actively engaged in collecting the wax. which ran in a molten state into the streets and market gardens.

The Ipswich Journal
Saturday 6 June 1868
Petty Sessions Reports
MONDAY, June 1
Offence under Masters' and Servants' Act
Walter Sterry was charged with absenting hlimself from the service of Mr. W. Dennis, of Barningham, on the 22nd May, without leave. Mr. DennIs said defendant was a shepherd, in his employ, at 12s. weekly wages and 6d. for each lamb at Midsummer. On the 22nd of May he ought to have been at the fold to get ready for washing the sheep, preparing hurdles, &c., at six o'clock; two other men were there to meet him, and a waggon and pair of horses were also kept waiting. He estimated the the damage at 10s. at least. By Defendant: You might have been with the sheep between four and five, but you were not there when the men were. The Magistrates ordered the service to be annulled, the defendant to pay costs and to receive his wages up to the commission of the offence.

The Ipswich Journal
Saturday 20 June 1868
Petty Session Reports
Martin Sterry again!
Martin Sterry, marine store dealer, Rickinghall, was summoned on a charge of assaulting Mr. Eillis Wragg Rickinghall Garden House, on the 30th May. Defendant did not appear. Mr. Ellis said defendant, went to his house on the day in question, rather worse for drink, and commenced a quarrel with another man, and on his interfering to quell the disturbance, defendant struck him three times on the face, giving him a black eye and cutting his face. Arthur Wragg, complainant's son, corroborated. Defendant had been convicted several times before. Fined 5s., and 15s. costs, or 14 days' hard labour.

The Ipswich Journal
Saturday 27 March 1869
Petty Sessions Reports
Martin Sterry was charged with having, on the 11th inst., feloniously stolen two ducks, at Rickinghall Inferior, the property of Mr. James Clarke, farmer. Prosecutor said: On the 13th of March I was on my farm, and fron what was pointed out to me, I looked towards the road and saw defendant and a man named Broome there. I saw Sterry put a duck down. He was 400 or 500 yards from mine. I went to him, and he said, " You know me." There was another man with him, and a second duck was put down by one of the two. I said, "What does this mean?" Sterry said, " I know these were your ducks, master." I value the ducks at 2s. 6d. each. Cross-examined: You did not tell me your dog had brought the duck to you. Frederick Raker said: I work for Mr. Symonds, and on the 18th of March saw a man named Broome with two ducks under his arm; Sterry was with hlm. They were then going away from Mr. Clark's-about 100 yards from his. I told George Lummis. George Lummis said: On the 13th of March I was in Mr. Clark's yard, and, from what I heard, ran after Mr. Clark, and saw Sterry put a duck down; he was then four or five hundred yards from my uncle's yard. l only saw one put down. Cross-examined : I am sure you put It down. Prisoner elected to be tried at once, and pleaded guilty. In defence, he sald: On the 13th of March I was on my way from Rlckinghall to Allwood-green, and met Broome on the road. He asked me where I was going, and I told him. I had a dog with me, and on our return we sheltered near Mr. Clark's, and it was snowlng fast. We soon went on, and the dog went in front and caught a duck, and brought It to us. Broome took It and set It on the road. When we got a llttle farther there was a duck In the ditch, and I took it and put It in the road just as Mr. Clark came up. Committed for three calendar months.

The Ipswich Journal
Saturday 17 December 1870
Petty Session Reports
Hartismere, Monday, December 12
Game Trespass - Edward Banham, of Rickinghall, was charged with a game trespass at Redgrave on the 16th inst., but he did not appear ... William Sterry, of Rickinghall, was charged with the like offence at the same time and place, and pleading guilty, was fined 1s. and costs, and in default of payment committed for 14 days.
Night Poaching - The said William Sterry, with Martin Sterry, of the same parish, was then charged with night poaching, at Burgate, on the 8th December. Walter Bean said: I am a gamekeeper at Botesdale. As I was golng home about half-past ten on the night of the 6th of December I met Martin Sterry. He asked me for some tobacco. I told him I had none, and he said he was going to Diss after some stock. I saw another man a short distance off, but do not know who he was. Suspecting something wrong, I went and called up Henry Boston and Walter Bean. We traced footmarks in the snow across Burgate Green into a meadow. When in the meadow I heard a gun, and saw a flash in Burgate Wood. I went in the direction. Boston said, "There they are." I went up and saw Martin Sterry. He flourished a stick at me. I saw William Sterry running. I followed him and found him hid up in a ditch. I called him out, and he asked what I wanted. I said," To see if you have a gun!" I saw he had a gun In his pocket. I said, "You have a gun." I asked him where the pheasant was. He said, "l had not time to get it." It was about a quarter to one in the morning. It was moonlight. The men here to-day are the men I saw. I knew them before. : Cross-examined by Martin Sterry: I saw you on the footpath. I did not charge you with being with Alfred Bailey. Cross-examined by William Sterry: I found you in the ditch. Defendant: I was not there there. I was at home and in bed. Henry Boston said: I live at Botesdale, and went with Walter Bean. I saw the footmarks in the snow; the persons who made them walked with a stick. [Martin Sterry Is lame, and walks with a stick.] I heard the report of a gun and saw the arc in the plantation. I ran and saw the two defendants come out of the plantation from where the gun was fired on to the footpath. We ran and found William Sterry in a ditch, the other defendant stood on the footpath. I saw a gun in Wm. Sterry's pocket. I am sure both persons are those I saw. I had known them before. Cross examined by Martln Sterry: I traced your footmarks across the footpath. I saw you come from the plantation. I did not say I had not seen you off the footpath. By Wlliam Sterry: You had a long coat on, not the one you are wearing now. William Sterry stoutly protested that he was at home, and in bed, and the other prisoner stated that he did not go off the footpath, and was going to get an order from the Relieving Officer for the Union. The Bench considering the case to he proved, sentenced each defendant to one month's imprisonment with hard labour, and at the expiration to be bound by recognizance, himself In £10 and two sureties in £5, or one in £10, not to offend again for a year, and in default of the finding sureties to be Imnprisoned for one calendar month further. The sentence upon Wlilliam Sterry to commence from the expiration of his former sentence.

The Ipswich Journal
Tuesday 2 May 1871
Petty Sessions Reports
Assault - Justice Pooley, of Botesdale, was charged with assaulting Wm. Phillipo, on the 25th April, he being at that time a police constable, and in the execution of his duty. Policeman Wm. Phillipo said that on the 20th Aprit he was on duty at Botesdale, taking Martin Sterry to the Police Station, with the assistance of the parish constable. Whilst they were conveying him the defendant came up and said, "0 -- it, if you hit that man again I'll knock your -- hand open." He then struck him in the face with a stick, but it did not hurt him. Mr. Nunn, parish constable of Rickinghall Inferior, said that on thu 20th of April, he was helping policeman Phillipo to take Martin Sterry to the lock up; on the way thither, the defendant came after them and swore at the policeman, and threatened to strike him. Defendant denied striking the policeman. The Bench said he had unwarrantably interfered with the policeman in the execution of his duty, and fined him 10s. 6d., and 9s. 6d. costs, or 14 days' imprisonment.
Inciting to Resist the Police - Fred Marcham was charged with inciting Martin Sterry to resist the police, while in the execution of their duty, on the 25th of April. Policeman Phillipo said that on the 24th April he was trying to apprehend Martin Sterry at the Cock public-house. The defendant came and swore and said he should not take him out. He got hold of Sterry's trousers to pull him away. He told him he should summon him. Defendant took up a stick and threatened him, but ha did not strike him. Fined 11s.6d., and 8s. 6d. costs.
Charge of Highway Robbery - Martin Sterry and Alfred Bailey were charged with feloniously stealing from the person of Geo. Barker, on the 24th April, a purse and £2 5s in money. Mr. Chas. Tacon appeared for the prisoner Bailey. George Barker, prosecutor, said: I live at Hinderclay and am a dealer, on the 24th April I went to Botesdale about two o'clock in the afternoon, and went into the Queen's Head, and saw the prisoner Sterry, who had two pints of beer with a person named Sovenham, and then Sterry asked me to ask him to drink; he drank with me. I had another pint after, and left the inn about five or six o'clock. Sterry went with me to the Cock, where we had some more beer. Bailey was there, and we drank together. I left the Cock about nine, and the two defendants left at the same time as myself. While I was in the Cock I produced a purse from which I took some money, and put it back again into my pocket. After we left the Cock, Sterry wanted to know which way I was going. I told him I was going home in the direction of Redgrave. We went that way together, Bailey walking on in front.When we got a quarter of a mile from the Cock, Sterry asked me for my dog, which I refused to give hiim. We stood against the gate, and Sterry struck me on the top of the head with a stick, and then knocked me down. Bailey then came up and put his hands into my pocket and took my purse out. The purse contained £2 8s. when I left the public-house. While he was taking the purse out of my pocket Sterry held my hands. I begged of them not to hurt me. They then both ran away. While they were robbing me a woman passed and said, "You do not went to rob that man," and then passed on. I gave information to the police the Tuesday following. I am quite sure the money was taken away befere they left me. I went back to the Queen's Head and saw the prisoners there, who asked me to drink, but I refused. Cross-examined : I had £2 9s. 8d. when I went to the Queen's Head. I did not ask one of the prisoners to lead me out. Sarah Pawsey said: I am the wife of the landlord of the Botesdale Cock. I recollect the 24th April; on that evening George Barker came Into tho house with the prisoners; they came together and went together. They left shortly after eight. They had two pots of ale between them while they were there. James Foulger said: I live at Botesdale. On the 24th April, in the evening, I was coming out of my father's yard and saw Barker, Baiiey, and Seerry. Barker was in the middle, and they all seemed to be going towards Redgrave. Than about 100 yards from the Cock. Cross-examined : Bailey and Sterry had hold ol Barker's arm. Bailey was not walking in front. Mary Smith said : I am the wife of Wm. Smith, and live at Botesdale. On the 24th April I left my house about nine o'clock, and heard a man calling out. I went towards the direction of the noise, and then I heard a man call out "let me alone." I went along the road, and came near the person. I heard Sterry say, "I'll be -- if I don't give you 11s, for your watch." No reply was made to that. I went up to Martin Sterry and said, "Let that man alone, you have no business with him." Sterry replied. "You go to --. It's no business of your's." I walked up the road some little way, and the two persons and Barker followed me. I met a young man and told him what I had seen. James Rush, blacksmith, of Botesdale, said: On the 24th of April, at nine o'clock, I was waiting in the road, and met Mary Smith. I afterwards saw Sterry and Barker against a field gate. They were talking. Barker said to Sterry, "My name is on my watch; keep your hands out of my pocket." I did not hear Sterry say anything about a watch. I did not stop with them, neither did I go for any assistance. This was the case for the prosecution. The charge and the evidence having been read. Mr. Tacon, on behalf of Bailey, contended there was no case on the part of the plaintiff, as he was tipsy, and had been drinking all the day. He called Sarah Bond, who said: I live at Rickinghall, and was at Botesdale on the 24th April, and saw the two prisoners there. I also saw Bailey against the police station, between eight and nine o'clock. He went home with me to supper, and after supper we then went to the Queen's Head and had some beer. Barker cams in after we were there; he wes quite tipsy. Barker tossed for beer, and lost a quart. My sister was with me at the time the tossing was going on. I did not see any money passed. Sterry denied the charge of robbery, and called James Rush, who said: Barker was tossing for beer, on the 24th of April, with me; I won a quart, and he paid 1s. George Cornish, carpenter, Botesedale, said: On the 24th April, I remember seeing Barker In the afternoon. I saw him in the short lane, which leads from the turnpike to the Back HIlls. He came into the Queen's Head with me. When I first met him, Walter Benn and Wm. Smith was wlth him, and he did act say anything to him about his being robbed. The prisoners were fully committed to take their trial at the next Assizes at Bury.

The Ipswich Journal
Tuesday 20 May 1873
Petty Session Reports
Drunkenness. - Phillp Sterry, Foxhall, was charged with being drunk and Incapable of taking care of himself and his horse and cart. Mr. Watts appeared for the defendant. Policeman Saunders said, on the 13th of May he was in Upper Orwell Street; he saw a number of people at the top of that street. On going up he saw Sterry and Mr. Wm. Whymark in a cart, attached to which was a pony. The pony was driven down the street a short distance and then turned back. This occurred once or twice, and it was turned round In the crowd. The defendant was decidedly the worse for drink, and was wholly Incapable of taking care of the pony and cart. Cross-examiled: Sterry, who had no hat on, held the reins part of the time, and Whymark had them part of the time. There was a complaint that some one had been nearly run over. The pony was very mettlesome. Sergt. Forsdlck corroborated, adding that when at the police-statlon Sterry declined to get out of the cart, and hehad to be removed by force. Head-Constable Mason also proved that the defendant was drunk when brought to the station. Cornelius Bloomfield, baker, proved the disturbance, and to seeing the pony driven backwards and forwards. He could not say that Sterry was drunk. In answer to Mr. Watts, the witness said he beard the defendant say that It was the most disgraceful mob he ever saw. Mr. Webster Adams, surgeon, who was passing down the street at the time, gave it as his opinion that the defendant was drank, and incapable of taking charge of the pony and cart. A witness named Richard Lee, said he believed defendant was the worse for drink, but he added, in reply to questions, that be did not think Sterry was very drunk, or he could not have got in and out of the cart in the manner he did. Rodger Bird gave similar evidence. In reply to the Beach he said lie believed Whymark was capable of taking care of the pony. He could not say that Sterry was wholly drunk. Mr. Watts, for the defence, stated theft It was Mr. Why- mark's pony, and Mr. Whymark had charge of it. The disturbance was caused by a man named Hines being nearly knocked down. Same of the crowd took hold of the pony, which became restive. The defendant was struck on the head, and he had his hat knocked off, and he naturally became exulted. Mr. Whymark was called. and he denied that the defendant was wholly drunk. He said he had charge of the pony himself and was sober. The defendant was fined 10s. 6d., and costs. William Wihymark, dealer, was then charged with the like offence, at the same time and place. The Magistrates allowed the case to be withdrawn.

Illustrated Police News [London]
Saturday 7 September 1878
Mr. Coroner Humphreys held an inquest on the body of Eliza Sterry, aged thirty-nine. Deceased was the widow of a warehouseman, living at 5, Cottrell-road, Dalston-lane, with her sister, also a widow, and stated to have been of very violent temper, and addicted to habits of intoxication. She had latterly been confined to her bed, and for some reason or other, at present unexplained, her sister left her in charge of a girl of fourteen, and did not afterwards return to the house. A day or two later the violent screams of the poor woman attracted the attention of a next-door neighbour, who insisted upon entering the room, when he found its occupant in so dreadful a state of dirt and neglect that she found it necessary to seek the assistance of the parochial authorities and the police. But when the parish doctor saw her he pronounced her past all aid, and, she died. a few hours afterwards. The case created considerable excitement in the neighbourhood. [This is probably Eliza Tapley, the wife of James Masterson Sterry, 1828-1878, on the Lowestoft, Suffolk Sterry line]

Bury and Norwich Post
Tuesday 4 January 1881
Petty Sessions
Tuesday Dec 28
William Marshall and William Sterry, of Newmarket Street, who had been locked up by Inspector Barnard, having been found lodging in a straw stack on the Snailwell road, and bound over to appear this day, were charged with vagrancy. Sterry failed to answer; Marshall appeared, and was committed to prison for 14 days. [Possibly Frederick Clendon Sterry 1857-1921 on Longhope, Gloucestershire Sterry line.]

Bristol Mercury
Thursday 30 March 1882
Petty Sessions, yesterday
The man Sterry, whose arrest and conviction was reported in yesterday's Mercury and Post, has held what was termed "Salvation services" in this town for about six months, at an old mill, the property of Mr. H. A. Palser. The large room was engaged by him at a rental of about £15 per annum, Sterry representing himself and companions as belonging to the Salvation Army of General Booth, by which means he obtained possession of the place. His character and antecedents were pretty well known to a number of the townspeople soon after the commencement of the "mission," but, notwithstanding, many were for a time completely infatuated, helping him with money and giving attendance at his meetings. The town throughout his stay was almost in continual uproar, and the whole of the available police force was frequently called to the vicinity of the meeting place. The proprietor of the premises, becoming at last suspicious of Sterry, took legal measures for recovering possession, which he suceeded in doing. Sterry suddenly left the neighbourhood and paid no rent leaving only a few benches in the room, some of which were sold by the married woman with whom he had been cohabiting and who followed him after disposing of all that was portable. For some time before the collapse his assistants had one by one deserted his colours except the person referred to in the proceedings before the magistrates as "Lieut. Charles," who had been for some two or three years resident in the town, and was a journeyman firework maker, his name being Charles Harrison. He also has left a wife and children behind him. Shortly before their departure they had both obtained uniforms, with the letters S.S. on the tunics. One of Sterry's last exploits consisted in inducing a tradesman to become security for the new glazing of the hall windows; he then collected the money from his admirers and went off with it, leaving his dupe to pay the glazier. Although Sterry had no right to use the letters adopted by theSalvation Army, many who walked in his processions wore the letters S.S. on their sleeves, for which they had to pay 6d each. The departure of the party from the town was a great relief to the peaceably disposed inhabitants. Shortly before he disappeared Mrs. Sterry paid him a visit at his lodgings, and found him comfortably at tea with his female companion. Mrs. Sterry then stated she had not received any support from him for some months

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper
Sunday 2 April 1882
Emmanuel Sterry was charged at Bristol, on Tuesday, with deserting his wife and family. The police told a remarkable story of the a prisoner's proceedings. Sterry was a plasterer and painter, but some time ago he took the name of Captain Manuel, and, in company with a man named "Lieutenant" Charles, he started as a Salvation preacher on a tour in the Midlands. The pair went to Ledbury, thence to Kingston, on to Presteign, and next to Leominster, Bromyard, and Worcester. At all these places they had hired halls and taken lodgings, but had left without paying. Collections were made at the close of the services, and directly the money had been secured the preachers decamped. At Ledbury the inhabitants made a subscription for an old woman who had thus been cheated of her lodging money. At Worcester the police found "Captain" Manuel living with a married woman, who had left Wotton-under-Edge with him. The magistrate sentenced 'the prisoner to three months' hard labour, telling him that he was an imposter of the worst of the worst description.

The Ipswich Journal
Thursday 9 July 1885
Wednesday, July 8.
Martin Sterry and Anne Sterry, his wife, itinerant umbrella makers, who did not appear, were summoned for being drunk and disorderly at Diss on the 2nd inst. P.S. Lawson Lubbock said that on Thursday night last at a quarter to 11 o'clock he heard a great noise on the Market-hill, and upon going thither he saw Sterry and his wife, both of whom were very drunk and making a disturbance. A large crowd collected, and as defendants continued to make use of the most obscene language and were very noisy he was compelled to take them to the station and lock them up for the night. In reply to the Bench the officer said he believed the defendants belonged to Rickinghall. He knew he gad been refused drink in the town during the evening. The Bench convicted and ordered both defendants to be committed to Norwich Castle for seven days' imprisonment with hard labour.

Hull Packet and East Riding Times
Friday 15 January 1886
Alfred Sterry, hawker, was, charged with being drunk and disorderly, and causing a breach of the peace. Defendant attacked a man named Henry Moore, Havelock-street, and a fight followed, which was interrupted by Sergeant Pawson. Sterry was fined 10s 6d including costs.

The Ipswich Journal
Tuesday 12 October 1886
SESSIONS HALL, EYE, MONDAY. - Before the Rev, T. Lee French (chairman), H. Brooke, and A, E. C. Hemsworlth, Esqrs.
Walter Sterry, of Rickinghall Superior, was charged with assaulting his wife on the 5th inst. Mrs. Sterry said her husband went home the worse for drink. They had some words, and he took up a table-knife and threw it at her; the knife missed her and stuck in the wall. He then picked up the poker and struck at her head, but again missed her, the heavy blow falling on the door-post. She was frightened, and made for the door; her husband pushed three children out of six out after her, and locked the door. She walked about till 11 o'clock and then went to the clergyman (Mr. Wickham) who found them lodgings at the Greyhound. Neither of the six children were able to earn a penny; she worked very hard herself, and her husband earned money in various ways, but he spent too much money in drink. The Chairman said he did not see what was to be gained by sending the man to prison. - The defendant, upon hearing the word "prison," seemed to realise his position, for he immediately exclaimed, "'I hope you won't send me to prison gentlemen; I will promise you faithfully that if you let me off this time it shall never occur again." - Mrs. Sterry said she was prepared to forgive her husband this time, but she hoped it would never happen again, as she wished to lived a quiet life. - The case was then dismissed upon defendant promising to pay the costs, 11s. 8d., in a fortnight. - The defendant had been in custody since Wednesday.

Reynolds's Newspaper
Sunday 07 August 1887
The Police Courts
Ivor Austin, of the Civil Service Bread Supply Company, Horseferry-road, Westminster, appeared to an adjourned summons for assaulting Elizabeth Sterry, a domestic servant, of 13, Creek-street, Deptford. Mr. Baker appeared as counsel for the complainant; and Mr. Beard, jun., for the defendant. The evidence given was that the complainanant in May last was in the service of the defendant's mother at 7, Sunninghill-terrace, Loampit-hill, Lewisham. On the 17th of that month, at 9.15 in the evening, she was left alone in the house, her mistress and the defendant's sister having gone out, when the defendant came home. He asked her whether she was alone, and she said she was, upon which the prosecutrix alleged he forced her into a dining-room, with the remark she was "entirely in his power," and endeavoured to criminally assault her. She screamed and asked him to have mercy upon her. He afterwards forced her up two pairs of stairs into her bedroom, where he continued to assault her. For two hours and a half she resisted the defendant, who continued his conduct until his mother returned. She did not mention that night what had occurred, because she was too exhausted. On July 8 she was dismissed from the service, receiving a month's wages in lieu of notice. She did not tell her mother at the time, as she was in delicate health. An offer of money had been made to her by a gentleman, who said he was the defendant's solicitor. In answer to Mr. Beard, the complainant now said that she had been an outpatient for about two months at the Hospital for Women, Solo-square, suffering from a rupture. Mrs. Sandermann, l5, Townley-park-villas, Dulwich, said she knew the complainant, who was in her service for two years up to the end of last January. She was a'very good girl indeed. On June 2 she made a statement to witness. Mr. Beard said the complainant had sworn that she saw Mrs. Sandermann on May 26. Ann Sterry, mother of the complainant, said her daughter made a complaint to her when she came home. Mr. Baker said that was the case against the defendant, and Mr. Marsharn said the case was one which it was difficult to withdraw from a Jury. Mr. Beard said in that event he would reserve his defence. Mr. Marsham committed the defendant for trial at the Central Criminal Court, accepting bail in two sureties of £50 each and the defendant himself in £100.

Worcestershire Chronicle/Journal
[Source: Find My Past]
17 Sep 1887
At the Central Criminal Court on Wednesday, Ivor Austin, described as a Secretary, was indicted for indecently assaulting Elizabeth Sterry. The case made some sensation when first it came before the public, and the National Vigilance Society took it up, and directed the prosecution of the prisoner. The prisoner was secretary to a business firm and lived with his mother at Lewisham. One night, in the month of June last, the prisoner's mother and sisters had gone to a theatre, and were out to a late hour. The prisoner, it was alleged by the girl, took advantage of no one being in the house, to commit the offence charged. According to her story, he dragged her upstairs into a bedroom, she struggling with him for fully two hours. Shortly after the prisoner was alleged to have left the girl, his mother and sisters came home, but the girl said nothing that night, she afterwards asserting that she was too much exausted by her long struggle, and that she was afraid of further violence from the prisoner. She, however, told her mistress the next morning, after the prisoner had left home for his office. Mrs Austin advised her not to say anything about the matter, and promised, if she would keep quiet, that she would not allow her son to come to the house again. The latter promise had been kept, for Mrs Austin wrote to her son that day, ordering him to keep away. A month afterwards, in the presence of a solicitor, Mrs Austin ordered the prosecutrix to leave the house, offering her a month's money in lieu of wages. This being the case, the girl made her story known, and the National Vigilance Society took the matter up. The defence was that there were certain familiarities, not only that night, but on previous occasions, but that they were with the consent and indeed, by the virtual invitation of the girl herself, who was of the mature age of twenty years. There was no corroborative evidence on either side, but counsel for the defence laid great stress on the fact that, during the alleged two hours' struggle and screaming, the neighbours heard no noise. It was asserted that had the girl screamed, they must have heard it.

The prisoner elected to be sworn, and having given a total and emphatic denial of the charge, he was subjected to a severe cross-examination without being shaken in his evidence. The Commissioner, in summing up, left the case entirely to the jury, telling them it was one of oath against oath.
After one hour's deliberation, the jury returned a verdict of not guilt, a result which was hailed with applause from a crowded court.  

Worcestershire Chronicle/Journal
[Source: Find My Past]
2 Jul 1887
William Sterry(17) labourer, of Kidderminster, pleaded guilty to stealing a pair of lady's boots, the property of Mary Teague pf Waterworks Road, Barbourne, on May 24th. Mr Harrington was for the prosecution. Prisoner had been convicted six times since November 1885. He was now sentenced to 12 months hard labour.

28 May 1887
William Sterry(17) labourer, Kidderminster, was charged with stealing a pair of women's boots, value 10 shillings, the property of Mrs Teague, Waterworks Road on the previous day. The prisoner was seen to go to the prosecutrix's house, and on coming out again, his pockets appeared bulky. He afterwards attempted to pawn the boots at Messrs Webbs' Broad Street, but he was detained and given into custody. Prisoner who had been four times previously convicted, was committed to the Quarter Sessions for trial. Mr Sommers expressed thanks to Mr Temple, assistant at Messrs Webb for the assistance he has rendered to the police in this matter.

South Wales Echo
Tuesday 21 August 1888
EXCITING SCENE AT A RAILWAY-STATION. Just as the 1.49 p.m. train from Gloucester for South Wales was running into the railway-station at Newnham-on-Severn a passenger was observed to reel off the platform on to the line of rails upon which the train was coming. The poor fellow fell upon his back and rolled over, and, although the engine was but a few yards away, he made no effort to get away. There were a number of persons at the station, and these, including his mother and his aunt, gave a despairing shriek, as P.C. Baker, a gallant young member of the Gloucester police force, stationed at Newnham, jumping in front of the loco- motive, and pulled the man away without either of them sustaining the slightest injury. The man turned out to be a collier of Abertillery, to which place be had taken a ticket for the train in question. His name was Albert Sterry, single, and he had been to Soudley, near Blakeney, on a visit to his mother, whom he had not seen for 10 years past. He owes his life to the plucky conduct of the police officer.

Reynolds's Newspaper [London]
Sunday 16 June 1889
At the Thames Police-court, Henry William Brinsden Hinder was brought up, in custody of two warders from Holloway Gaol, charged with having committed bigamy. Henry Gwilliam, of 4, Dollar-street, Cirencester, stated he was a newsagent and pork butcher. He knew the prisoner by the name of William Henry Hinder, and was present at his marriage on September 3, 1887, to Fanny Sterry, at the Baptist Chapel, Coxwell-street, Cirencester. The certificate produced was the one of the marriage. He last saw the prisoner's wife on Monday last. She was the person referred to as Fanny Sterry. There were two children of the marriage, and they lived together for about three years. Jane Burns, 12, Queens-road, Canning-town, said she kept company with the prisoner about the middle of April 1880. He told her his name was Henry William Brinsden, and was a single man. She was married to him on July 16, 1881, at the parish church of Wargrave, Henley-on-Thames. They lived together for about two years, and he then left her and lived with another woman. They again came together and had three children of the marriage. Detective-sergeant S. White, H division, said on April 1 he took the prisoner into custody under another charge, and he was now detained in custody at Holloway Prison for want of sureties. That morning witness charged him with the present offence, when he said (referring to the witness Burns), "She is not my wife." Mr. Lushington formally cautioned the prisoner, who said, " I am not guilty." He was then committed for trial. Some three months ago the prisoner was charged at this court with using threats towards a young lady to whom he had been engaged. It was stated on that occasion that he had written to the young lady telling her he had attended a seance, and her father's spirit had come to him and expressed approval of his daughter's intended marriage. It was also stated Hinder had three wives, and had been in the army. While at Aldershot he caused to be inserted in one of the local papers an account of his supposed death by drowning. He then sent that account to his real wife, representing he was a detective, and giving her some hints as to obtaining a livelihood for herself and children. He had travelled a great deal over the Continent and this country, and up to April great difficulty was experienced in arresting him.

Liverpool Mercury
Saturday 22 November 1890
Yesterday a number of men were engaged on building improvements in High-street, Newport, Mon., when an iron beam of the old premises gave way and the front wall collapsed, carrying with it the scaffold upon which the men were standing. Two men were buried in the debris, and on being extricated one, George Davis, was dead, his neck being broken. Eli Sterry also sustained serious injury, and lies in the infirmary in a precarious condition.

The Ipswich Journal
Saturday 15 August 1891
Louisa Sterry, a child 11 years a of age, hailing from Rickinghall Superior, was charged with stealing two hen's eggs, value 2d., the property of Mr. Robert Newstead, farmer, of that parish, on the 1st inst. The prosecutor recently had lost a quantity of eggs. On Saturday week he had two eggs marked and placed in the nest, and the same day from information received went in search of the defendant, overtook her in the field, and asked her what she had in her pocket. She said, " Not anything," and on feeling therein be found the two eggs produced, which were those he had marked on the end. Hannah Blomfield, servant to the prosecutor, saw two eggs marked on Saturday week and put them in the nest. When defendant came for milk witness saw her get into the ditch where the eggs were placed, and on going there found they were gone. The child said she was guilty. The prosecutor asked the Bench to deal leniently with her, but this petty pilfering which he had been subject to must be stopped. The Chairman said the case was a serious one for a child of such tender years, and the Bench would be most reluctant to send her to prison, which might do her more harm than good. Upon the mother promising to pay 4s. in a fortnight the child was discharged.  

Worcestershire Chronicle/Journal
[Source: Find My Past]
31 Aug 1895
At the weekly meeting of the Gloucester Board of Guardians on Tuesday, a discussion arose respecting a scene which occured at the funeral of a black seaman, who was suffocated in a tank near Gloucester. Mr Ford, who said he had investigated the matter, expressed the opinion that the quarrel arose through the rivalry between two undertakers. Mr Sterry, the Board's undertaker, was as usual, requested to make the necessary arrangements, but afterwards some Gloucester working men offered to bury the body at their expense, and accordingly they gave the arrangements into another undertaker's hands. Mr Sterry went to the mortuary to take the body away in his hearse, and there a disgraceful scene was enacted. A struggle between the rival parties took place, in the course of which the coffin dropped from the slab on to the floor. Afterwards, this behaviour, as Mr Sterry would not give the body up, was repeated at the graveside, and the deceased's friends forced the undertaker to give the coffin up, and they lowered it into the grave themselves. On the motion of Captain de Winter, Mr Sterry was ordered to appear before the Board.

London Daily Mail
14 Nov 1896
SUICIDE OF AN OCTOGENARIAN - For some time an old man named John Sterry, eighty years of age, formerly in business as a twine-spinner, had been strange in his manner and had once attempted to end his life by taking poison. He walked into the sea yesterday and was drowned before assistance could be rendered.

Western Mail
Wednesday 21 February 1900
Thomas Sterry, aged 28, labourer, was charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm upon his mother, Julia Sterry, at Abertillery. The case against prisoner wae that he violently attacked his mother because she would not provide him with money for drink, and so badly ill-used her that he broke her arm and one of her ribs. He was sent to prison for fifteen months.

Lowestoft Journal [Suffolk]
8 Nov 1902
Reports on the tragic death of Robert John Cook Sterry (1858-1896; Southwold line). Fred was the skipper owner of the wooden sailing Drifter, "The Defender" which crashed onto the beach in a gale.

Worcestershire Chronicle/Journal
[Source: Find My Past]
26 Dec 1903
On Sunday afternoon, a boy named Sterry, son of Mr Sam Sterry of Gorsley, took with him to Sunday school a quantity of gunpowder wrapped in a paper. When near the school with other boys, he held the powder in his hands while one of the other lads was smoking, and put the lighted end of his stick to the powder. It immediately exploded and very badly burned Sterry about the hands and face. He was at once taken to Dr Worthington's at Newent, and had his injuries dressed. It was feared that he may lose the sight in one eye.

Wednesday 19 July 1922
The hand of fate was against the sufferer from Rheumatism, Arthritis, Gout or Neuritis until now. The tortures of Rheumatic pains have been conquered, speedy, certain and economical home treatment has been discovered by London Specialist which quickly banishes all aches and pains and makes sufferers feel years younger. You may have tried countless remedies and obtained no lasting relief, but under this treatment you will be astonished how rapidly your pain will vanish. No matter how deep seated your complaint, no matter how long you have suffered. No matter how many things you have tried to get relief. No matter how many times you have lost hope of ever getting better. Mr. Sterry can and will help if you wish. Every patient is treated individually. You can promise yourself definite ease and comfort. Write him to-day just simply stating your case and he will advise you exactly what to do. Enclose a stamped envelope for reply to Mr. Norman Sterry, 19, Portsdown Road, London, W. 9. Show this to any of your friends who suffer from Rheumatism or Neuritis. They will be everlastingly grateful to you.

Gloucester Journal
Saturday 16 December 1922
On Tuesday afternoon, Mr. H. R. Smith, Deputy Coroner, held inquiry at the Police station, Cirencester, into the circumstances of the death of Mr. Robert Sterry, miller, of Ampney Crucis, who died at the Memorial Hospital on Saturday morning. Evidence was to the effect that on October 17th deceased, and his son, Robert Joseph Sterry, were riding from the mill to their home in the village when, on turning the corner, some thing caused deceased's tricycle to overturn and throw Mr. Sterry so sharply that he sustained a broken thigh. The son. riding rather in front, saw nothing to account for the fall but attributed the overturning of the machine to a fit of giddiness, which caused his father to put on the brake too tightly. The sufferer was carried into the Park Lodge, and promptly attended by Dr. Leslie Hughes, who found one thigh broken. Mr. Sterry then declined to be removed to the Cirencester Memorial Hospital, to which he was taken on November 23rd, and died there Saturday morning last. Dr. Hughes continued to attend the case, and attributed death to cerebral thrombrosis following the shock of a broken thigh. The Coroner recorded his verdict accordingly.

North Devon Journal
Thursday 11 December 1924
Mr. Wasey Sterry, C.B.E. (the present Acting Governor-General of the Sudan in place of the recently murdered Sirdar, Sir Lee Stack), who is the eldest son of the Rev. F. Sterry, of Fort Hiil, Barnstaple, was educated at Eton and at Merton College, Oxford. He obtained his B.A. decree in 1889, and his M.A. in 1892. He became a barrister at Lincoln's Inn in 1892. Mr. Sterry was appointed the first Civil Judge the Sudan in 1901 and Chief Judge in 1903. He holds the Order the Medjidie (third class, 1907) and the Order of the Nile (second class, 1915). In 1898 he published an interesting book on "Annals of Eton College." In 1919 Mr. Sterry married Rene, eldest daughter M. Adrian Bonfils, of Brumana, Syria. Mr. and Mrs. Sterry spent a holiday in Barnstaple last year. His father, the Rev. Francis Sterry was for just 30 years (1869- 1898) Rector of Poltimore with Huxham, during which time he was associated with many public bodies and philanthropic Societies. He was, prior to Poltimore, curate at Stockland for three years 18644-7).

Gloucester Citizen
Tuesday 1 March 1927
Serious Charge Against a Gloucester Clerk
At Gloucester City Petty Sessions on Tuesday, before the Mayor (Dr. D. E. Finlay), in the chair, and other magistrates, Gilbert Sterry, described as a clerk, of 7, Stroud-road, Gloucester, was charged with indecent behaviour on February 16th.

The Deputy Chief Constable (Mr. A. W. Hopkins) said that the defendant was alleged to have committed the offences before four little girls. There were other cases against the defendant as well as those concerned in the present charge.

Defendant pleaded guilty.

Mr. G. Trevor Wellington, who appeared on behalf of the defendant, said he was goingto ask the magistrates to postpone sentence to see if it were possible to make some arrangements for the defendant to be taken straight away to where young people would not be subjected to what they had already been. There were two convictions against the defendant for similar offences. In April, 1923, the defendant, who was of most excellent character, was brought before that Court on a series of charges of this character. The magistrates on that occasion decided that an agreed statement of the facts should be given to Dr. Soutar, a well-known expert, in order that he might report to the magistrates and assist them to determine the right course to adopt in regard to the defendant. Sterry had an excellent military career and afterwards took up good employment at the Gloucester Wagon Works. For some reason which nobody could explain he took to unfortunate conduct such as he was now charged witha nd a peculiar feature was that he had not the slightest recollection of having done so. Dr. Soutar made his report and expressed the opinion that Sterry was in a state of nervous exhaustion. Dr Soutar made the suggestion that Sterry should be removed to a mental institution which was duly recommended, and the result was that after conslderation of Dr. Soutar's report, and all the facts, the magistrates consented to that course being taken, and the defendant was removed to an institution for curative treatment, where, as far as was known, he made a splendid recovery.

Sterry kept all right for some years, continued Mr. Wellington. He returned to his employment until August last year, when he was arrested at Cheltenham, and that was the first time there was any evidence of a recurrence of this unhappy matter. Sterry appeared before the Cheltenham magistrates. No commununication was made to him (Mr. Wellington), it was not known that he was in trouble, and no attempt was made to bring to the notice of the Cheltenham magistrates the earlier history of the defendant, and he was given three months' hard labour. That period he served. So far from prison affecting a cure it had precisely the opposite effect. His relatives had paid for his treatment at the institution to which he was first sent, but it was not possible for them to provide the expense of another course of such treat. He had lost employment. He had a wife and child, he had lost his character and all chances of getting employment, and the question was now what could be done with him. It was obvious that women and girls must be protected, and there was also the defendant to consider. The only practical suggestion he (Mr. Wellington) could make was this. The defendant had a brother who lived at St. Helena and had a farm there. It was proposed, if the magistrates concurred, to make arrangements if possible for the defendant to be sent to that farm, where he would live in a good climate and good surroundings, and have an opportunity of reasserting the control he had lost. Defendant's mother-in-law was prepared to enter into recognisances, and the defendant would not go out of his house except in her company in the interval which it was hoped the magistrates would allow to see what arrangements could be made. Apart from this unhappy aberratlon there was not a more pleasant fellow anywhere than the defendant. Mrs. Roberts, a widow, of 7, Stroud-road, said she was the mother of the defendant's wife. Defendant and his wife and child lived with her. He was a good husband and perfectly happy with his wife. The witness undertook to be responsible for the defendant under the conditions outlined by Mr. Wellington.

The magistrates retired to consider their decision and on their return the Mayor said that the defendant would be released on bail for a month and that would give an opportunity for the Deputy Chief Constable to find out what could be done and help the defendant with regard to an institution, and would also give time for those acting on the defendant's behalf to communicate with St. Helena and see what could be done there. The magistrates left it to Mrs. Roberts to be responsible for the defendant during the month. He (the Mayor) hoped that Mrs. Roberts and the defendant would understand the big responsibility that meant.

Mr Wellington said it was not possible, owing to difficulties in the Lunacy Laws which members of the medical profession knew very well, to get the defendant admitted to an instittutlon because he was not, according to law, insane. He was too old for action to be taken under the under Mental Deficiency Act. Captain Percy Sturdy, of the Church Army, had made a suggestion which would be very helpful and acceptable in volunteering to visit the defendant during the period he was on bail.

The Mayor: The magistrates very much appreciate the offer.

Defendant was bound over in £5 to appear at the Court in one month's time and Mrs. Roberts entered into a recognisance for a similar amount on the the conditions stated by the Mayor.

Gloucester Journal
Saturday 18 February 1928
Question of Commoners' Rights
At Newnham County Court before his Honour Judge Macpherson, Hubert Sterry, collier, Wigpool, Mitcheldean, sued Ronald Matthews, also collier of Wigpool, to recover 18s., expenses incurred by the defendant's alleged unlawful seizure of a sheep belonging to the plaintiff, which the defendant impounded. Mr. H. H. Wadeson (Mitcheldean) was for the plaintiff, and Mr. H. W. Berthon (Lydney) for the defendant. It was stated that Matthews was the tenant of a cottage and garden forming part at one time of the common land. At some time or other between 1787 and 1812 it was enclosed. Sterry kept sheep on the common and it was stated they had been getting into Matthews's garden and doing damage, with the result that Matthews impounded one. Sterry contended that Matthews had no right to impound his sheep. Mr. Wadeson set out to establish that Matthews was bound to keep fences up round his enclosure which would keep animals " fenced out," as he contended that the land on which the house and garden of Matthews stood was an enclosure from the common land.

After considerable argument his Honour said tihe burden of proof was on the plaintiff and the plaintiff had to satisfy him that in this particular case there was this very special right held by the people who were commoners not to be obliged to keep their animals off Matthews' enclosure. He was not satisfied that the plaintiff had proved his case in this respect. He was not satisfied that, assuming that the enclosure had been the subject of a grant by the Crown, that the circumstances were similar to that of a grant by a Lord of the Manor, as in the judgment cited by Mr. Wadeson. Neither was he satisfied that the defendant had had transmitted to him the burden which might, or might not, fall on the actual owner of the property.

Judgment was therefore for the defendant.

Gloucester Journal
Saturday 5 January 1929
Charles Pritchard (47), William Bevan (38), and Allen Sterry (26), colliers, Drybrook, were summoned at Littledean Petty Sessions Friday for committing perjury at the same court on October 12th. The magistrates were Mr. R. E. Westaway (in the chair), Miss B. M. Lefroy, and Messrs. C. A. J, Hale and A. Davies. Mr. Herbert Williams, of Monmouth, prosecuted on behalf of the police. Mr. Williams said the defendants were charged with stealing pears at Longhope when they were alleged to have committed the oftence with which they were now charged. A witness named Bullock, who said he saw the defendants picking up the pears, was related by a marriage connection to Pritchard and called him by name at the time. Mr. Oxiey, Clerk to Mr. M. F. Carter, the Clerk to the Court, said defendants were represented by a solicitor at the court, and he (witness) now produced the documents relating to the case, including the depositions, which were signed by tne defendants. Pritchard was cautioned by the Clerk about committing perjury and the others heard what was said. Defendants were fined £1 and costs. Ernest Frank Bullock, Longhope, farm stockman, said he was employed by Mr. Constance. On September 4th he was working in a held adjoining Hope's Wood. Whilst he was there three men, the defendants, came through the field, He knew Pritchard Bevan said "Is Nicholls about here anywhere?" They went in the direction of Stocky Orchard. Witness followed them. He saw them through a hedge put pears out of basket into two sacks. He watched them for three or four minutes, and then they started to come away. He said "Charlie, I know you ever so well and you ought to know me." He made no reply, but went on. After he had got into the other field witness spoke to him again twice, but he still made no remark in reply, but turned round and laughed and walked on. He had spoken to the other two men, telling them, as he had told Pritchard, to put the rest back and put a few pears in their pockets for the kiddies at home if they had any, and he was satisfied Sterry was carrying a sack and Bevan had his pockets full. Bevan asked witness "If the fruit belonged to him?" Pritchard said he did not wish to say anything in answer to the charge. Bevan, in the witness-box, said what he wanted to say was why, if Mr. Ford had a clear case, did he go round to houses making inquiries. The nearest way from Dry brook to Littledean, or Gun's Mills, or Greenbottom (where had a brother), was by Mrs. Taylor's. His occupation was that of a collier, but at present he was working for the County Council. Sterry said if what he had previously stated in this Court would stand he did not wish to give further evidence. Defendants were committed to the Assizes at Gloucester, to be held on February Ist. Defendants applied for bail. The Chairman said the bail would be £25 each defendant in himself, and surety in£25 each. Bevan asked could he apply as a poor man for assistance in defence. The Chairman said that would be considered at the proper time.

Gloucester Citizen
Saturday 10 August 1929
Drybrook Man Bound Over for Theft
At Littledean Petty Sessions, yesterday, William Sterry (36), unemployed, Harrow Hill, Drybrook, was charged with having, on August 8th, stolen a leather handbag, curling tongs. key, toothbrush, and leather purse containing 5s. 3d. in silver, of the total of 25s., the property of Mrs. Agnes Burris, of Ruspidge. Mrs. B. Burris, said she was employed at ChisholmBelle Vue-road, Cinderford, on Thursday. In a basket on the scullery table she placed the handbag with the contents. At about 5 o'clock she had tea in the kitchen. She heard a slight noise in the scullery, and went out to see what it was. She found that the basket had been pulled to the edge of the table, a comb was on the floor, and the handbag was gone. She ran out to the gate and in the distance she saw a man dressed in a dark suit and cap. He was going up the road, and he looked back twice. She had previously seen him at the house on the previous day, when he was given some food.

P.S. Ferryman said in company with P.C. Francis he intervewed Sterry at his home. In a statement Sterry related that he went in the house and saw the bag and took it, and then went on up the road. Sterry pleaded guilty. Inspector Gardner said there was nothing against Sterry. He had not been employed for some time, and went about begging. He had been to Mr. Westaway's on Wednesdaya nd was given some food. The Court bound Sterry over, himself in the sum of £10 for 12 months, and placed him under the care of the Probation Officer.